Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Collecting.

I can't call it 'collecting', not really. I'll use that word to justify the quantity, the sheer volume that are now tucked into every little nook and corner and spare drawer/box/basket type thing in the house.

My husband knows to not bring home any type of storage container that I could possibly commandeer openly. They go upstairs to his man attic, sneakily, while I am asleep, to prevent my theft. But sometimes I'm awake, and he doesn't know it. And then it's mine.

When we moved from Northern Virginia to Michigan and had the advantage of a free military move, the serious gentlemen who came to access the weight of all our objects said that, with a glare at my shelves, we were most definitely overweight and would have to lose at least a few thousand pounds of 'thing'. 

It was everyone's turn to glare at me. I winnowed down, just a bit, shed enough tears and took so very long making my agonizing decisions that the crappy, heavy patio furniture made it's way to the curb with 'free' written on cardboard next to it.

And don't get me started on what I have for the children. Some were mine, lovingly saved, dog eared and water stained and wrinkly from the bathtub or poolside. Others were acquired during my most favorite job during the big blowout sale before (sadly) the store closed. Thrift stores, yard sales, any and everywhere because I am not only a sucker for a bargain, I am a sucker when it comes to the feel of the paper, the bright colors and 'I remember this!' nostalgia.

In other words, I have-

so. many. books.

And I'm not sorry. Sorry.

I love when someone comes by and the first thing they do is look at my books, touch them gently on their spines and ask me before they can take one off the shelf.

Of course!, I say. That's one of my favorites! (I say that a lot).

Can I borrow it?

Oh. Oh.. no, no.

But go ahead and keep it, I'm pretty certain I have at least two copies of it here, somewhere. And it's just so damn good, you really ought to own it, too.

..and I'll just get another copy, or another book, or both, to fill up that empty shelf space.

Of course I will.

****


 

2 comments:

  1. Love your humor! What fun this collecting post was--made me smile

    ReplyDelete