Thursday, August 20, 2015

Another Day by David Levithan — A Review

So I decided I had to get up on my NetGalley/ Ebook reading, though I prefer physical copies. Regardless, NetGalley is an awesome program and if you are all good with digital, please please check them on. Okay, on to the review.

Another Day by David Levithan is the 2nd book in his Every Day series, I'm led to believe, having not read the first one. You can definitely read this as a standalone, so don't let that stop you if you pick this up.

Following the story of A from their love interest, Rhiannon’s, perspective, this YA book deals with the issue of love, what that really means,how much you want to let it change you, and how you deal with the things you cannot change.

I don't want to give it away, if anyone happens to pick this up first, but I can say it has a unique, fantasy element that remains wholly tangible, something you can grasp and understand, because under the current of strangeness is the emotions of first love and confusion we all recall feeling.

I read this one awfully quick, in a good way. It caught my attention after the first chapter. Rhiannon's character is initially in a relationship with Justin, a boy at her school. She loves and hates him, wants to be near to him and forces herself to keep a distance to pacify his temperamental, independent attitude towards her and his life in general. The wrestling with the conflict of feelings and the discovering of your own self-worth and what you value, who you are and what you really deserve are familiar for anyone, like me, who has once been a teenage girl.

A's varied personas and appearances are all over the place. Ugly, fat, thin, handsome, boy, girl. It's perfect, a great device that asks the reader to determine what is it about someone that makes you want them, love them?

Ultimately, this book is about the nature of affection, of love and the centrality of that rush of emotion, that desire and pull on your heart that makes you feel whole. It asks you to ask yourself: "Do I want that thing that makes my every day my Every Day? What would I be willing to do to find it?"


(*digital ARC received free via NetGalley for review.)


No comments:

Post a Comment