Tuesday, June 9, 2015

YAY! Kinda?

Well, NetGalley approved my advanced review of a book! Which, if you are a nerdy reader like me, is pretty sweet and an easy way to get e-copies of books before they come out. I do prefer to have the book in my hand, but I'm on the computer so damn much and I have a Nook, so - why not?

I'm excited, but also realize that I always have a ton of shit to do, so when will I find time to read this? I'm in the middle of about five books currently, but feel an obligation to read and review this bad boy NetGalley so graciously sent me. And I don't want it to take away from the enjoyment of reading, being an obligation.  So I feel obligated, but need to approach it in an unobligated sort of way? Unobligated isn't even a word. Ugh. 

But-- this book sounded pretty awesome, and I'm kind of jazzed to read it.  It's called Stir: My Broken Brain and the Meals that Brought Me Home by Jessica Fechtor.  Memoir, cooking, tragedy, triumph - all those good things I feel like I can connect with right now. What I love most about reading certain books at certain times is the way they resonate within your life context.

For example- this morning I'm sitting in a video conference, crying baby, my seven year old all over the place, not showered, and not medicated. (Sidenote: I take a few meds. That's a whole other post, probably coming soon).  The littlest things can result in a great big catastrophe inside my brain, and I just want to shut down. I've been, lately, easily overwhelmed, which would be strange to anyone who has worked with me or went to school with me. (I apparently hide stress well. Or I used to.) At this time, today, I feel gone. I'm trying to get back. I'm trying to balance.

Let's see if this helps.

ONWARD!




No comments:

Post a Comment