Monday, June 22, 2015

Meetups and Meetings

So.

I am trying to be proactive about my new community (which was my old community, but I was way too busy/too young/didn't own the home to give a shit), so I attended a Heritage Hill Association board meeting a little while ago.

Heritage Hill (HH) is a neighborhood in my city that is an historic district, full of beautiful old houses, some converted into apartments, some just big ass houses like mine (I'm so lucky, I know this), but all unique and interesting and walkable to the center of the city, to downtown.

We are in an ever changing, evolving space, with the growth of Grand Rapids, with the need for more housing, with the increased diversity, families, students, a wide variety of people embracing this city as their own.

HH seems to be all about making sure we keep the paint scheme correct and don't have ACs in the front windows to ruin the facade.

Which makes me sad, since I left a neighborhood with a rocking community association run by the most proactive organizer ninja and all around awesome person who ever ran a community association. I want that here, because I see the changes, I know HH isn't really addressing them, and I feel obligated to be that younger voice and get involved.

So.

I sat, two and a half hours, listened. Observed. Took notes. GRPS (the public school district) had reps, which made me really happy. There are schools in this neighborhood that are doing awesome things, and I don't think HH has really embraced them, and those students who attend these schools, as part of their community. I plan on connecting with them, getting more involved and seeing how I can help. My child goes to a charter at GRPS, which has, on occasion, also approached HH since they are in the neighborhood.. with not many results/positives.

I left a bit disheartened, I guess, but with some good possible contacts and more in the 'know', plus some knowledge of who I can approach with my grandiose ideas who won't have a heart attack if I try to insert some 'change' up in heere.


Meetup:

I took some 'me' time! This momma totally took some me time, and went to a Writer's Meetup she randomly found in her e-mail one day.  It was 'Writing at Contemplative Practice' at someone's house, and was billed as two hours of " learning to trust your own voice; using your own language, your own rhythms, and writing your own story." and then sharing that story.

First off, the apartment was absolutely beautiful and cozy and inspiring. It was an attic apartment, all stained glass windows and odd corners, nooks to hide in, art and books and billowly. Exactly where I'd be if I didn't have two children a dog and way too many things.

 I was thinking I might act lik my ol' cynical self and huffy, writing it all off as 'woo' and people as idiots, but I really tried to hold it back. The host had warm bread made, coffee and tea and maybe was a little 'woo', but incredibly kind and I know I'm just an asshat.

Anyway. We talked a bit and had coffee and I feel like I actually might have made a few friends.  I was excited to just write write, pen to paper and no other thoughts in my brain. I really enjoyed sharing with everyone else, and I shushed my hesitance and negativity towards myself, and also tried to listen- really listen- to others' stories and voice, and give feedback.

It was nice, hearing good things, not getting slammed for not using hyphens correctly or commas or having shitty grammar. It was nice to share my story, it all it's ugly, unedited nakedness. 

Like this blog.

I like ugly.

Prompt: What were you passionate about as a child?
My response: Escape.

(Make of that what you will.)

No comments:

Post a Comment