Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Boss Bitch by Nicole Lapin: A Review






Boss Bitch by Nicole Lapin is billed as a '12-step plan to take charge of your career.' I'm a fan of anything with 'Bitch' in the title automatically, and, based upon the blurb, it seemed up my alley - a funny, feisty, strong woman who doesn't take any shit and provides some guidance to other women who are getting started on their career path. As much as I wanted to LOVE this.. I only liked it. It's an easy read, and the advice she provides (especially regarding branding yourself and running a business) is solid. She's got skills, and the confidence to share her expertise and her failures, which is awesome.

However.. at this point in my career, it's all sort of.. common sense at this point. She's definitely writing for a younger (than my grey haired, 34 year old self) audience. Which is totally fine, but it feels a bit patronizing for me. I'm all about cheese and ridiculous memes and saying silly things (Everyone I work with is younger than me. Really. Everyone.) and talking about Bey and 'spro bros', buuuut... It's amusing on a t-shirt and fine coming out of your mouth every now and then, but I don't particularly have the desire to read it. Kind of also ruins the longevity of a book?

Am I right? Disagree? Well - cash me outside howbow dah? :-D

Ha, go ahead and give it a go if you are in your early 20s and looking for some confidence and career guidance, but maybe leave it behind if you are old af like me.
*Note: This book was received for free for a review from Blogging For Books.





No comments:

Post a Comment